once upon a time i joined a challenge

Monday, December 7, 2009 |
I’m joining another challenge. I was determined not to, but I have so many books that fit the category on my slate for next year…it was inevitable, really. So…The Once Upon A Time Reading Challenge is hosted by Tena of Crazy Book Slut.

The plan is to read the fairy tales we grew up on, but with an added twist, modern take or dark re-imagining. These books can be Young Adult, Romance, Erotic, e-books, audio books...only limited by one’s own imagination. The vast majority of my list is YA…it might as well be called the Young Adult Fairy Tale Challenge.


The challenge goal is to read at least 5 books during 2010. There’s no starting the challenge ahead of time, and no re-reading allowed either. Below is my initial list…to be added to as needed. And yes, I know that it's considerably over the goal number. A little over-enthusiasm does the body good.


1. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

2. River Secrets by Shannon Hale

3. Forest Born by Shannon Hale

4. Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog

5. Jasmyn by Alex Bell

6. Fables: Legends in Exile (Vol. 1) by Bill Willingham

7. Ice by Sarah Beth Durst

8. Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

9. Winter’s Child by Cameron Dokey

10. Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguié

11. The World Above by Cameron Dokey

12. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

13. The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines

14. The Mermaid Madness by Jim C. Hines

15. The Princess and the Snowbird by Mette Ivie Harrison

16. Troll Bridge by Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple

17. A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

18. Ash by Malinda Lo

19. Heart’s Blood by Juliet Marillier

20. Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan


Come along and join me in the world of happily-ever-after!

10 comments:

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I just love the blog button for this challenge! Those look like some great books. :)

kayerj said...

I've read a number of made over fairy tales that I just love. So I'm going to do this one too. Sounds fun.

Anonymous said...

Holy moly thats a lot! i might increase my list too...I hope you LOVE tender morsels!!!



-Aimee
http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Wow. Have you read Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon -- The Secret Cinderella Story? I found it to be interesting.

Jenny said...

What a great list! I love fairy tales - I am kicking myself for not putting some of Andrew Lang's books on my Christmas list. This looks like it's going to be a fun challenge.

Lauren said...

That *is* a lot, and I'm currently struggling against the impulse to sign up for a heap of challenges! This one sounds like fun though. I've read a few from that list - Ice and Ash are both among my standout favourite reads of this year, so I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot out of both of them.

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tia said...

Wow, I had no idea there were so many options under this category! I've never read (or heard!) of any of these, so I may have to try one or two before I sign up for the challenge myself.

K said...

So Celia, how would you like to read one of these books still in manuscript? Drop by my website, krandle.com and use the email address there if the idea intrigues you.

Tena said...

Hi there, I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know that I have put up the review entry at Crazy Book Slut where you can list your reviews for the books your read for the Once Upon a Time Reading Challenge. I look forward to reading your reviews and thanks again for signing up for my first reading challenge that I am hosting, means a lot!

Here is the link:
http://5150bookslut.blogspot.com/2010/01/once-upon-time-challenge-list-your.html

P.s adding all your books to my list... great books!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home